Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor

|

fat loss factor review


Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor Review.

 "All I hoped for!" 2006-08-29
By M. Leuzinger

With a few one-star reviews, I was a bit hesitant to order this. Now, after two weeks of use (10 runs of 2 to 2.5 miles each), I have no regrets with the purchase whatsoever.



I haven't had any of the problems reported by any of the one-star reviewers. It syncs to the satellite in a reasonable* amount of time, seems to track my pace very well, tracks distance well, and the heart rate monitor seems WAY more accurate than the dedicated exercise machines at my local gym.



*by reasonable, it does take a minute or two to sync to the satellites each time. That's the only thing I could possibly think of improving, but it's not a big deal. Being the super-impatient person I am, I often turn on the watch, set it on my front porch, go back in and change into my running outfit, and by the time I come back out it's ready to go.



I haven't seen the pacing issues others have reported. I'm a beginning runner... but if I keep a solid pace... it reports about 10mins/mile... if I push a little harder... about 9mins/mile... if I let up... about 11mins/mile. It seems very consistent over my entire 2-2.5 mile run.



I have a 2.1 mile run where I've done the same exact route about 6 times... and when I compare the maps of each run... they overlap almost exactly.



I have thyroid and heart issues, and this watch gives me the confidence to know I'm not exceeding my max hr for too long (I can easily get into the 180's) and gives me the feedback and stats to keep me motivated.



Last but not least, I've bought dozens and dozens of items from Amazon over the years, and this is the first review I've taken the time to write - hope that gives you an indication of how happy I am with this product. ;-)

 "An Improvement" 2006-04-19
By J. L. Stankus (Gig Harbor, WA United States)

This is a definite improvement over the 301. I had several complaints with the 301:

(1) The heart rate monitor did not track well, and would often jump up to 240, which was a problem when looking at average heart rate later;

(2) The tracking was bad sometimes in the woods, where I run (it could vary half a mile on a four-mile course, and even worse, the elevation could spike 1,200 feet at times and completely change the profile of the run);

(3) The unit was not ergonomic, the buttons were difficult to push, and the screen was hard to see; and

(4) It took forever to acquire the satellites.



The heart rate monitor comes with a new sensor that is more flexible, comfortable, and offers more reliable data. The tracking is much better and more consistent. The unit is much more like a watch, the display is great, and the buttons are much easier to push while on the go. However, it still takes a while to acquire the satellite signal. It is a bit improved, and is not dissimilar from other Garmin products, so I'd have to say that it's OK.



The BIGGEST improvement is that this model is more like a typical GPS in that it offers many different modes and screens to track various types of information (one can toggle between three different screens). For example, on one screen, I have the current time, sunrise, sunset, and running time. On another screen I have the grade, altitude, average pace, and current pace. On yet another screen I have heart rate, calories, distance traveled, and heading. It is totally cool.



I use this thing for running, biking, rollerblading, mountaineering, skiing, and just about everything else outside. I am really happy that I spent the money for the upgraded version.

 "Better than 405 & Polar...GOOGLE EARTH alone is worth the upgrade!!!" 2009-05-27
By Y. R. Wu (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

I use mine for cycling and running, the direct link to see your workouts mapped on GOOGLE EARTH is FANTASTIC!!!! (the included software is far more stable than the junk Polar included with their HRM's.



Heart rate strap with replaceable battery is coded and comfortable. It's better in my opinion than the Polar products (of which I've owned three)



This is much better than the Forerunner 201 which I previously owned (locks on satellites 10 times faster) and I'd avoid the 405 unless you really want to use this watch as a normal day to day wristwatch (check out the 405 reviews)



One nice feature is being able to customize the display screens. Another review criticized the 305 for the numbers being too small to read while exercising. I don't have an issue but would point out that you can significantly increase the size of the display by simply displaying fewer fields.



My only complaint is that it's easy to leave it on and run the battery down - which is a bummer if you're just about to work out. I wish there was an "auto off" feature which would shut it down if it detects no movement or heart rate within an hour or so. Fortunately, with Li-Ion batteries, as little as a 10 minute charge gives you enough juice for a 90 minute run.



If you've found this review to be helpful, please let me know!

 "Has changed the way I run" 2007-03-06
By P. Lange (Connecticut)

I have had the 305 for about 6 weeks and am very pleased with it. It is my first GPS watch and has exceeded my expectations. I had read the concerns with the altimeter and agree, it does not provide useful or accurate information so no surprises there. The real issue for me was how well it would measure distance. I have found it to be very accurate and reliable. I have several runs that I have clocked with the car and measuring tools on Google Earth; the Garmin hit my mile split expectations anywhere from spot on to 20-30 feet from what I believed the true splits to be. At the end of the 10 mile run I was also within 20 feet of expectation. So maybe one mile measures a few feet long, another a few feet short, but cumulatively it was right on my prior expectations.



The heart rate monitor does jump around a bit on pulse rate but once I settle into a run it seems more reliable and is certainly useful. I have found that if I put the chest strap on a few minutes before running I don't get the wild initial readings when I start running.



As to my headline that it has changed the way I run, because the distance measurements are so accurate the Forerunner has freed me from the old measured courses I have run for years. Instead I just take off wherever I feel like going with complete comfort as to splits, pace and distance (and yes, I am one of those who really cares whether I ran 5.00 versus 5.25 miles when calculating my pace). I set the watch to ring at each mile so I can simply glance down and figure my pace. It is also great when traveling as you can run any distance accurately without any planning effort.



I also enjoy downloading data to Sporttracks (third party free software) to see my runs overlayed on a map. Often it maps so accurately it will clearly show which side of the street I ran on and where I crossed from one side to the other. Running has never stopped being fun, but the freedom this device has afforded me has added a new element of enjoyment.

 "Amazing" 2006-06-26
By Claffey (Washington DC Area)

I bought this product with some trepidation, after reading the mixed reviews on Amazon.com, so I made sure that my supplier had a good return policy. However, I have to say that it is an amazing piece of equipment, and kudos to the people that developed it. Sure it has some kinks that I am prepared to put up with, bearing in mind that this technology is in its infancy (especially at this size). I am training for my first marathon and I have found the forerunner to be great for logging and keeping track of my runs and my overall progress. Sure the real-time pace is not hugely accurate, but I feel very confident that it keeps very good track of my distances and overall pace for each of my runs (if I do an out-and-back run, the plotted course and calculated distances are very close). As I do most of my weekday running in boring suburban DC neighborhoods, it is liberating that I don't have to do the same measured route every time to keep track of my pace. I can wander at will, and head towards home when I am getting close to my desired number of miles. The virtual running partner is a great motivator. How else can you get a running partner to start the run at the same time and place as you and to run at a constant pre-set pace? It was a little annoying when I was ahead of him/her and needed to wait to cross the road; meanwhile I watched him/her passing me out!! I tried the auto-stop function for the first time this weekend, it worked ok, but did have some kinks...maybe it was because of very heavy rain and lightening we were having. The heart rate monitor seems to work fine. I have found signal strength to be no problem (I live in DC area, not sure it that makes any difference). My neighborhood has plenty of trees and the parks that I run in are heavily forested (its summer here). As I drove into the park this weekend during the storm my satellite radio kept losing signal under the (very wet) tree cover, but the forerunner seemed to work fine (except for the autostop). I wish their maps were more detailed, they just have the major streets, I guess Garmin chose to provide a stripped down version.....they should have done a better job there. Overall, as a technophile, I love this piece of equipment, and look forward to seeing how they improve it in the future. You do need to understand the limitations of this device though (e.g. somewhat accurate real-time pace information, undercounting overly twisty routes). I guess I am lucky that I have had no problems with it so far (it has only been a month), but I will update this if I need to call their customer service.


fat loss factor review