Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, White, 3G Works Globally – 2nd Generation

|

fat loss factor review


Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, White, 3G Works Globally – 2nd Generation Review.

 "Different and Better" 2009-06-11
By Alexander Scherr

I have owned both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2, so I'm already committed to the basic idea: e-ink reading in a slim form factor with excellent connectivity to a large selection of books and subscriptions. I have come to rely on my Kindle experience, and it has seriously enhanced my reading.



The DX was not an obvious upgrade for me, but two features put me over the edge: the larger screen, and the native PDF reader. I now have the DX in my hands, and can report PROS, CONS, and NEUTRALS:



PROS:



-- the larger screen is a definite plus. I use the larger type size on my Kindle 2 (older eyes), and at this type size I get far more text per page on the DX. This makes the whole reading experience more book-like (and should be a boon to people who buy large-print books.)



-- the screen is also sharper and crisper than my Kindle 2 in a side-by-side comparison: the text is darker, and the contrast is much better, making for better visibility overall.



-- on a side note, the larger screen also makes it possible to read poetry on the kindle, even at large type sizes. On earlier Kindles, the smaller screen cut off lines, so that you would lose the sense of when the poet ended the line. On the DX, you can see the whole line exactly as the poet meant it, with the cut-off in the right spot.



-- the PDF reader works as advertised, and is extremely convenient. PDF documents appear on the DX exactly as they do on a computer screen. Moreover, you can drag and drop your documents directly to the device using the USB cable (or use the for-a-fee email if you absolutely must.) The only downside: at least for the documents that I've used so far, I cannot adjust the type size as I can with native Kindle documents.



-- screen rotation also works as advertised: it operates as a mild zoom on both graphics and text and offsets slightly the downside of not being able to adjust the typesize on PDF documents. One nice design touch: the four-way navigation stick introduced on the Kindle 2 is rotation-sensitive, and will move as expected relative to the screen rotation.



-- more of the device space is devoted to the screen, while the white plastic border around the screen seems to have shrunk, both in general and compared to the proportion of screen to plastic on the Kindle 2. I like this (but see below about the keyboard).



-- storage: I like the increase in storage space, and don't mind the lack of an external storage card. I can see some people having trouble with this, but only those folks who either a) must regularly carry around PDF documents totalling more than 3.5 GB of space or b) must have nearly 3500 books regularly at their fingertips. I fall in neither category.



CONS:



-- price: it's expensive, as you can tell pretty quickly. If you value the larger size, and the native PDF reader, these features may justify the roughly 30% premium you pay for the DX over the Kindle 2. In truth, the DX SHOULD cost more than the Kindle 2, and a 30% premium isn't unreasonable. But, for my money, Amazon should drop the price on the Kindle 2 to $300 or so, and charge $400 or a little less for the DX. Still, I bought it, and will keep it at this price.



-- one-sided navigation buttons: all of the buttons are now on the right side, and none are on the left. I'm a righty, so I shouldn't complain, but I found myself using both sides on the Kindle 2. Lefties have reason to complain, I think.



-- One-handed handling: I often read while I walk, with my Kindle in one hand, and something else in my other. Because of the button layout, this will be more difficult on the DX.



-- metal backing: I miss the tacky rubberized backing on my Kindle 1. When I placed my Kindle 1 on an inclined surface, it stayed in place. Not so my Kindle 2 and now my DX. This is not a complaint specific to the DX, but it's still there.



NEUTRALS (i.e. things worth noting):



-- weight: the DX is heavier, noticeably so. This is only an issue if, like me, you regularly use the kindle with one hand . . . and even so, it's still doable.



-- keyboard: the keyboard has 4 rows, and not 5: the top row of numbers from the Kindle 1 and 2 has been merged into the top qwerty row, so that numbers are now only accessible with an alt-key combination. The keys are vertically thinner too, so that the whole keyboard is no more than 1" tall (compared to over an 1.5" on the Kindle 2). At the same time, the keys themselves are a bit easier to press, a bit more protruding than on the Kindle 2. For someone with big fingers (like me), this will be a slightly harder keyboard to use, but only slightly.



That's all I can see. Overall, the pluses outweigh the minuses for me, and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I can now think of using my DX for work documents on a regular basis, because of the PDF reader. The screen size and screen rotation make the overall reading experience more immersive.



Overall, the DX feels more like text and less like device and comes closer to the stated goal of the Kindle: for the device to disappear, leaving only the joy of reading.

















 "Going to buy the GRAY!! Sorry Sony PRS-505... I'm moving on" 2009-06-11
By Mahlers2nd

July 5 update: I've apparently been living under an e-reader rock because today is the first day I hear of the new dark gray DX. If you are contemplating the whether to go with the white or gray DX -- DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!! Get the gray!! The one thing I learned with my Sony Readers is that the darker the bezel -- the more contrast between the screen and the easier it is to read. So even if the screen and nothing in the e-ink display has changed and everything else is the same except for the color of the bezel -- the darker bezel will make for an easier more constrasty reading experience. FINALLY, Amazon gets a clue and realizes that the darker bezel will make for better reading though it may not look as "nice" as the white!



FIRMWARE UPDATE as of 11.30.2009:



I have now M-Edge Platform Jacket for Kindle DX (Genuine Leather--Pebbled Navy)--Back to School Sale!! because you can set the Kindle up to stand by itself on the table next to you or a lap desk. This makes it easier to to view music, knitting patterns, or just plain books (addressing some users complaints about it being "too heavy" to hold comfortably).



I had been disappointed that the Kindle automatically goes to sleep after 5 minutes because if you are using the Kindle for reading patterns or music, it times out on you while you are still "working" on a page. However, Amazon come out with a new firmware release... the Kindle DX now stays on for 20 minutes before going into screen saver mode which is a big improvement.



In addition, with the new firmware, you have the option of converting your PDFs to Kindle format -- which should address the lack of "zoom" and "annotation" features -- at least there is a workaround for now.



UPDATE as of 06.16.2009: The Kindle may have just literally saved my career and saved my "backend". I had an interview yesterday and thought I knew where I was going. I'm one of the last dinosaurs not to have a Garmin and got lost. After circling around for awhile and getting more and more uptight about missing my interview, I remembered the Browser on the Kindle.



On the K2, the browser was basically unusable because of the size. However, with the DX, I was able to go to Google Maps, look up the address and had my directions in just a couple of seconds. The map was rendered beautifully and the turn-by-turn directions could be bookmarked and even if my DX fell asleep, it awoke still displaying the directions. THANK YOU KINDLE!!!



---------------------------------------------



The UPS truck arrived a couple of hours ago. I feel like a kid on Christmas Day and I got (just about) everything I wanted!



My Sony PRS-505 has finally and officially become my "Emergency Backup Reader"



My romance with ebook readers got off to a bumpy start when I got my first eInk device -- the Cybook Bookeen. Firmware issues and awkward buttons made it rather disappointing.



Then I found true love with the Sony PRS-505. I loved the metal case. I loved the "Collections" (essentially folders features). I loved the looks and loved the display.



However, the Kindle 2 woo'ed me with the size of its content collection. However, for reading I still ultimately preferred my Sony.



Now, with the larger Kindle DX, I've set my Sony aside and there is a new love in my life. Let me count the ways:



1. SCREEN SIZE: Reading on the Kindle DX vs 6" readers is like the difference between sleeping in a King sized bed vs a Twin Bed or riding in the backseat of a 2-door 1981 Honda Accord vs bucket seats in a Honda Odyssey. You feel like you have room to breath. The larger screen allows you to maximize the use of the real estate -- taking advantage of larger fonts and more white space. This makes text much easier to read -- even if you are just reading regular books.



2. KEYBOARD: I also love that they have compacted the keyboard so that it doesn't dominate the overall appearance of the device. The smaller keyboard in no way compromises the ability to type. However, it improves the look by making the proportions more appealing and it means the device isn't horrifically larger than the 6" device.



3. PDF + BIG SCREEN = LOTS MORE USES: I can transfer my knitting patterns (complete with knitting graphs and diagrams) and cello music to my e-reader.



Using the Kindle for knitting -- I can highlight my place in the knitting pattern making it easier to work more complicated stitch patterns.



I play cello and many of my music books are available in PDF format -- again the Kindle is wonderful for carrying all my music with me at one time. Turning pages is faster and easier than with a physical book. The kindle sits well on the music stand (though you want to make sure the tray of the music stand is taller than the Kindle or the Kindle will be "top heavy" making the bottom slide forward and potentially falling off the stand.



4. SCREEN ROTATION -- You can rotate the screen in any direction and the page quickly re-orients itself. You can keep rotating 360 degrees and the screen follows you. The buttons remain the same but the thumb stick also reorients so that if you push right relative to the current orientation, that always means "page forward" no matter what direction you are in.



If you are left handed and really bothered by having the buttons only on the right side, you can turn the device upside down and voila -- now your buttons are on the left side.



5. BUTTON CONFIGURATION -- I actually PREFER having the next page and back page on the same side and in a contiguous location (as opposed to opposite sides of the device like the Kindle 2). It makes one-handed reading easier without having to reach over to the other side of the device to flip back and forth.



6. SOLID feeling -- I like the heavier feel -- it is comparable to the heft of a hardbound book.



7. READING While charging -- this sounds like a little thing but with the Sony, if you have the device plugged in for charging, you can't read on the device at the same time.



There are a two things I still think the Sony does better:



1. COLLECTIONS: It would be nice to have folders so that music could be separated from technical books which is also separated from knitting patterns etc. The absence of folders is even MORE annoying on the DX because you are likely to have a much more diverse collection of books/documents on there.



2. EPUB SUPPORT: ePUB would allow users to acquire content from public libraries and virtually any other online ebookseller. But that is basically why Amazon isn't doing that... they WANT you to only get your content from them. Frankly, the ability to view PDFs without having to do a bunch of emailing back in forth is a huge leap forward so I guess it is sort of a "baby steps" thing.



Sony has just really dropped the ball by not bringing out a larger format. You wouldn't think that a couple of extra inches on the screen would make that much of a difference in terms of your reading enjoyment. But then again, going from a 17" monitor to a 19" monitor is a huge difference in terms of usability of a computer screen.



All in all -- Amazon really made a brilliant move with the DX. It is clear that they have really thought through the little things this time around and even the DX is a substantial improvement over the K2. I'm very very happy!



[NCJAR]

 "Kindle DX first impressions from a former Kindle 2 user" 2009-06-11
By New England Book Reviewer (USA)

Here are my first impressions of the Kindle DX which I received earlier today. I've been using the Kindle 2 for the past three months and have loved it. It has improved the way I read by making it easy to download and try books before purchasing them, and allowing me to carry a variety of reading material with me. I was disappointed with the way it handled PDF's, which is important to me, so I sold the Kindle 2 and bought the DX.



- The DX works like the Kindle 2 in terms of keys, navigation, joystick etc., except all the navigation keys are on the right.

- Was concerned about lack of navigation on the left, but if you flip it 180 degrees, the display auto rotates and you can use your left hand. Very slick.

- The DX is heavier, but is still comfortable to hold and read.

- The overall size of the DX is not as big as I expected from the pictures on the web.

- The digital ink looks similar on both, but a little sharper on the DX.

- The DX works much better for PDF's overall. The bigger screen really helps here.

- A complex powerpoint I converted to pdf looks just like it does on my pc except in b&w.

- PDF's with columns work fine. I couldn't read them on the Kindle 2.

- If you have a PDF with multiple columns, the print may appear small on the DX, and you can't adjust fonts in PDFs.

- Newspapers are easier to read on the DX, especially pics and tables.

- I downloaded a sample chapter of a textbook. I can see this working well for students.

- The rotate feature is excellent on the DX; works as advertised.

- The Kindle 2 weighs less and is more portable. If reading only books, I'd probably prefer the Kindle 2, given the lower price and size, and nav keys on both sides.



Regarding the price, while I'd love Kindles to cost less, I think the price is reasonable. Here's how I justified it. I assumed I could resell the DX in 2 years for 50% of its purchase price, or $245. (50% seems reasonable based on the experience of Kindle 1). So my net cost is $245. The differentiating feature of the Kindle is the built in wireless capability. Not only is it elegant and integrated, it is also included in the purchase price. If unlimited wireless were priced separately, a reasonable price would be around $10/month. So effectively my out of pocket cost using the DX for 2 years is roughly equivalent to what the wireless would cost me if it was priced separately.



Both the DX and Kindle 2 are good values. If you only read books, the Kindle 2 is probably better. If you already own a Kindle 2, and don't read PDF's, I recommend keeping your Kindle 2. If you read a lot of pdf's or newspapers, or you like to read with large fonts, you'll be happier with the DX. For my needs, I like the DX more.



 "Even better than Kindle 1 & 2" 2009-06-10
By David Edmiston (So Cal)

Reading on the Kindle DX is such a joy. I've been so happy with my first generation Kindle 1, but the DX takes Kindle reading to the next level. The amount of content that fits onto the screen is a vast improvement to the experience. And even better than the *quantity* of content is the *quality* of the content. The display on the DX is truly phenomenal.



I write technical documents for a living. The product documentation that I write is full of images, diagrams, and rich formatting. I've tried loading my PDF documents onto my Kindle 1, but they won't display. I couldn't believe my eyes when I loaded my PDFs onto the Kindle DX. The formatting of the page displayed perfectly!!! Zooming and rotating was simple.



I read a lot of technical documents too. I've always been sorry that I couldn't read good technical books on my Kindle 1 (the latest Photoshop books, etc.) They look great on the DX though. With the DX, you can carry your whole reference library with you: dictionaries, reference manuals, the Bible, ... I even have PDF versions of the shop manuals for our dirt bikes. I haven't loaded them onto the DX, but it sure would be easier to have them on one compact device than having five big fat books for the bikes.



The Kindle DX isn't cheap, but I imagine the price will come down eventually like it did with earlier Kindle versions. It is an astounding device though--truly a game changing piece of equipment. Think of how your TV viewing changed when you got your first TiVo, how driving changed when you got a GPS, how your phone changed when you got voicemail and caller ID. That's how your reading will change when you get your fist Kindle.

 "Q & A on Kindle DX" 2009-06-18
By C. Coleman (Atlanta)

EDIT: 1/16/2010(Please see end of review for most recent update)





Q. Why did you purchase a Kindle DX?



A. I love to read, and I read daily. Accordingly, the Kindle DX, while expensive, is likely to "pay" for itself in a relatively short time, for anyone who likes to read New Releases. Yes, you can check things out from the library, but for avid readers who like to plow through New Releases, the Kindle is a nice luxury that supports the healthy habit of reading.



Q. Yeah, but that thing is expensive. Why not the Kindle 2?



A. Who said anything about the Kindle 2? Buy the Kindle 2.



Q. Ok, but why did YOU buy the DX and not the 2?



A. Oh, well that's because of a couple of features that were important to me. First, the screen is larger, and that is helpful to me. Second, I like the pdf capability and use it.



Q. And that was worth the extra $100+ dollars?



A. For me, yes. Maybe not for you...and in that instance, buy the 2.



Q. Ok, so what is the first book that you downloaded?



A. Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shephard.



Q. Does it come with a case or a light?



A. No and no... and this is one bone to pick with Amazon. At that price, a protective case, even a cheap one, should be included. I would like to point out for those that bash this "no backlight" thing that just about every paper book I've ever purchased did not come with a "backlight" front light, side light, or any other kind of light. I tend to read near a lamp, and so that works. And I have a reading light that I can use in bed or in a car, and whaddya know, that works too.



Q. No color? How come no color?



A. What's the last paper book you read that was written in color?



Q. Ok, fair point, but what about with periodicals and such?



A. I suspect that eventually we will see color Kindles. I am not sure the technology is available yet at this price point. I, for one, am pleased with the readability of a Kindle DX in black and white.



Q. Ok, so is it easy to use?



A. Oh, I think so. For anyone remotely tech savvy, you can figure out the Kindle DX on the fly.... but the user manual that is loaded onto the Kindle is helpful, and there are lots of online sources for information if you're really stuck.



Q. Is the bigger screen really a plus?



A. For me, it really is. Sometimes, I need to increase the font size for reading comfort and the larger screen really makes it still feel like I'm reading a book and accomplishing something with each turn of the page.



Q. Is the screen really "better" or "improved?"



A. While I do not own a Kindle 1 or 2, I have read from both. In my opinion the DX is crisper and blacker, and in that sense, for me, yes, it is better.



Q. What's with the screen shift?



A. Ah, you mean where you can turn it sideways and the screen shifts so that you can read, panoramic style. That feature has it's advantages as well. First, you might find it a more comfortable way to read. Second, with PDF documents, sometimes, it's the view you need.





Q. How's the battery life?



A. Oh it's great. So far, I'm still working off the first charge. Look, I think all of these readers have better than decent battery life. One keye is to remember to turn the wireless mode off if you want to extend the battery life. If you are a subscriber to blogs, etc.....you'll need the wireless on for the downloads, but otherwise, keep it off. I imagine 2 weeks of reading with no wireless on is actually very achieveable. Now, not reading around the clock for two weeks, but with moderate usage, it lasts and lasts. This is NOT like some Walkman that burns double A's in 3 hours.



Q. How is the download time?



A. I received Scratch Beginnings in under 18 seconds. I couldn't have walked to the kitchen to get me keys to drive to the bookstore in 18 seconds. I also couldn't have fired up my computer to purchase the book online in under 18 seconds.



Q. What about the range?



A. I'm in a metropolitan area. I have no problems. I've taken it to the mountains of North Carolina already, again, no problems.



Q. What about out of the country?



A. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Honestly, I plan to download a few books before I go.....



Q. What about people who complain that it isn't green?



A. Oh for the love of humanity. You can't please all the people all the time. Look, I'm an avid reader. I don't need or want to own hundreds of books that OH BY THE WAY were printed on paper from trees. I don't want to store them, put them in landfills, or whatever. This works for me. I hope it works for you.



Q. Yeah, but there are toxins in th.....



A. There are toxins in ice cream. I'm not going to stop eating that either.



Q. Didn't you see that 20/20Frontline/48 Hours/iTeam investigation/New Magazine/Blah boo Blah show that talks about all the lead and mercury and hazardous stuff that children in Third World Nations are exposed to because you bought a Kindle.



A. Yes......no, wait......that wasn't the story! Look, I love the environment and please know I try to do my part to protect same. I promise I won't put my Kindle in the landfill, nor will I have it shipped to Naperstania where young children will be exposed to the evils of whatever might be in my Kindle. I expect to own the Kindle far longer than most books that I have owned in the past. I'm not trying to put magazines out of business, but really, I don't need the mail, and the wasted paper and the ink and everything else. You give and you get, you know?



Q. Isn't this just a fad?



A. I don't think so. I think the DX could be the solution to college student spending hundreds of dollars per semester on text books and then having to lug them around for classes and trying to get rid of them when the semester is over. The uses of the DX in the education environment are all plusses. I believe the Kindle line and copies will be around for a long, long time. And if I'm wrong, I'll come back and edit the review and admit I was wrong.



Q. Is it durable?



A. I haven't dropped it and don't want to....but I believe that it is durable. The screen is not like a laptop screen.... it's more durable, in my view. I recommend getting a case or at least a protective cover. One does want to avoid scratches and unnecessary bumps with ANY electronic device. Again, Amazon should include a cover. Are you listening Amazon?



UPDATE: I dropped it. About 3.5 feet. It hit carpet. It's fine. Not a scratch on it. Works just like it did before I dropped it. I did utter something that's not PG when I dropped it....and I'm sorry for that now.



Q. Is it heavy?



A. It's not heavy. It's heavier than the Kindle 1 and 2. It's got some heft to it. But it's not unwieldy as larger books can be. And you don't get that horrible thumb fatigue from holding the book upon with your thumb wedged in the bottom in the middle. I don't find holding the Kindle DX awkward at all. I will say this though... I'm a rightie, and the buttons are all on the right. Perhaps some lefties will not appreciate that fact, but it's not difficult to navigate at all. Reading with one hand and mashing buttons is a bit more clumsy than with the 1 or 2, but it's fine.



Q. How's the keyboard?



A. I think it works just fine. But lookie here.... I have an LG ENV mobile phone, in part, because it has a QWERTY keyboard with raised buttons. My big ol fingers and thumbs work better on little raised surfaces. So, the Kindle QWERTY is just my style. I'm not a touch screen sort of person. In fact, I have been known to become angry with various touch screen Kiosks - for example - at IKEA. But that is a story for another day. UPDATE - I now have a Motorola Droid (with slide out keybard, on which the buttons are not raised enough. Touch screen technology is vastly improved - and I suspect the new Apple tablets will have high quality touch screen function).



Q. What happens if I spill something on it.



A. Don't.



Q. How's that little "mouse" button?



A. Easy to use. At first, I was concerned, because I sort of have fat thumbs. And, I was afraid that with overuse, it might get sticky or something. But, it's easy to use. I don't make mistakes with it, despite it's small size.



Q. Will the Kindle DX make me cool?



A. No. The Kindle DX IS cool, but it will not make YOU cool, if you are not already cool. I am not particularly cool, and I also tend to think that trying to be cool because you have gadgetry is sort of pathetic.



Q. Is the Kindle a good conversation starter?



A. Why, yes it is.... and usually the conversation starts with, "Oh, is that one of those Kenny thingies?"



Q. What else can the Kindle DX do?



A. Scramble eggs and secure the perimeter. I don't know, why are you asking this?



Q. Well, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it...



A. If you aren't an avid reader, NO, it's not worth it. Look, for someone who always has a nose in a book, reads more than one at a time, reads alot, or quickly, OR for someone who wants to get the latest George Will columns, or magazine, etc.....the Kindle is a great little tool. It's worth it. If you don't read that much... stick to the old way.



Q. Do you do all of your reviews this way?



A. No.



Q. Why did you Q & A this one?



A. Because it seemed like more fun than just writing it out in long paragraphs.



The Kindle DX is an excellent device.



UPDATE 6/22/2009



The ease with which one can search for and download a book is just wonderful. I realize this works with all Kindles, but folks, let me tell you.... with your Kindle Account, you can search for a book, order it with one click and, I KID YOU NOT, have the entire book on the Kindle in about 10 seconds. Now, does it MATTER whether it's 10 seconds or 50 seconds or 78 seconds? No.



Of course not.



But I am one to marvel at the speed of things. And this downloading service is really great.





I also want to address one of the more common comments that I get in public when someone sees the Kindle and starts asking questions and then decides to soapbox for a bit.



I'm often asked: "Don't you like to hold a real book? I LOVE to hold a real book! I think I'd miss the holding of a real book. Sometimes, you just want to hold a real book."



MY ANSWER: Yes, sometimes you want to hold a real book. Maybe you like the cover art. Maybe you have a unique edition. Maybe you like the smell of the paper. Maybe you feel more bookish with a real book. That's you. There's nothing wrong with you. You're a lovely human being. More power to you. Buy or borrow all the real books you want and read, read, read.



I have no reason to hold a real book in my hands. I don't love the smell of an old book. Cover art doesn't usually light my fire. I don't feel more bookish with a real book. I just want to read a good book, and the Kindle makes it easy to obtain and then read what I want to read.



Another thing. I tend to have my nose in more than one book at a time. Sometimes, I'm not in the mood for the biography I'm reading, and a little golf humor makes my day. I don't have to bring 2-3 books long with me and wait for the mood to strike. The Kindle has them all right there. Nice and easy.



Believe me... I'm as uptight and traditional as the next person, but again, for me, the Kindle makes sense. So, there's really nothing to "defend" so to speak. I would never, in a million years, put down someone who just likes to feel the paper. Accordingly, please grant me the pleasure of swooning over the feel of the smooth, white plastic.



Another question I get is this: Why does it only come in white?



A. I have no idea. Would I enjoy an apple green Kindle? I suppose. Hey, there's a million dollar idea. Fashion skins for your Kindle. Someone get on that, would you?



UPDATE #2 - I figured there were already fashion skins for the DX available, and what do you know, there are. See comment section below for one place (I know nothing about the site, just pointing out that these, apparently, do exist).



UPDATE #3 - I want to address a couple of other points raised by other reviewers and even commenters to ths review:



a) Auto Wireless/off/on mode - For those that don't know what's being referenced here, when you turn you Kindle on it's in Wireless ON mode....this is what allows you to reach into cyberspace and grab the book, periodical, newspaper of your choice. The battery lasts longer when the wireless mode is OFF. Some users would like a setting that automatically turns ON the wireless mode when they download something and then shuts it off when the download is complete. I agree, that would be handy and worry free.



b) Organizational folders: again, agree...the ability to create folders to organize materials would be mighty nice.



c) various pdf improvements: I think this is on the way. With PDF, a zoom mode would help, but alot of how much you like the PDF capabilities is directly related to how you use it.



EDIT: July 22, 2009



I want to address the recent hubbub over the removal of two books from the Kindle, surreptitiously, by Amazon from owners' Kindles. According to published news reports (as opposed to message board accusations, some of which have made this issue into something it is not....) upon discovery that a publisher did not actually have the rights to sell the book in electronic format, a decision was made to withdraw the books from Kindle's circulation (i.e. remove them from availability to purchase) and then to remove them, via Whispernet, from Kindle owners' devices - without previously informing the owners it was going to happen. Amazon, according to published reports, did refund the purchase price of the books to each Kindle owner. (I am aware that some owners may not have immediately noticed the refunds OR if they changed account data, may not have actually received the refund because Amazon did not have an electronic means to complete the refund).



My view is simply this: If a publisher doesn't have legal rights to sell a book via Kindle, then it should be stopped AND it makes sense that the version of the books that people purchased should be returned. Obviously, Amazon should refund the purchase in any such situation. But this type of transaction should ONLY be completed with the ADVANCED knowledge of the Kindle owners. I think that Amazon has even admitted, in published reports, that this was not handled correctly and would not happen in the future. In other words, I think they learned their lesson, from a customer service standpoint.



In this situation, I believe that Amazon could, and might still, make an additional concession to those affected (A book credit for their trouble).



I do NOT think this is "Big Brother" reincarnate (although the books at issue were Animal Farm and 1984).



I am not sure a review of the device is the proper place to have a debate over "ownership" of the material on your Kindle. THAT debate has raged for some time, and you need only search message boards here or plug a few search terms into your favorite search engine to read all about it (although I must tell you 98% of the info is all on one side of this debate). This is a PERFECT example, though, of how technology provides remedies that are unavailable to print media. Had this occurred with an actual book, no one could have taken the book out of your home. But in a legal sense, the technology allows Amazon, the conduit here, to avoid massive liability or damages in a civil context by being able to show that the books are no longer "out there" and available for purchase.



I still believe the Kindle DX is a wise investment for the avid reader, and I stil recommend it to you. My goal in this update was to provide helpful information about the recent issue concerning two books and provide my assessment of Amazon's handling of the matter. I believe that in the future, Amazon is likely to do a far better job of providing information to owners, before the fact.



UPDATE: 08/11/2009



I was recently lectured on the use of Public Libraries and how the Kindle line and Sony line of electronic readers are going to lead to the downfall of the Public Library Systems in America.



HOGWASH.



I still use my public library. I'm just not restricted to waiting 6 months for a best seller to go through the 9 people ahead of me on the wait list.



Also, what about support for the authors in this world? When 1000 people check out the same book at the library, the author and publishing house have sold a grand total of 1 book.



There aren't enough Kindle users in the world to drive libraries out of business. PLUS, there is something to be said for being able to borrow a book, for free. We do it all the time. By the bagloads.



I strongly support Public Libraries and I urge you to do the same. Donate your time and/or money and/or all your used books once you purchase a Kindle.



1/16/2010



I've read no less than 4 "lists" that discuss items that you should not buy - on each list ELECTRONIC READERS. One list said they are bad for the environment and then completely ignored the entire paper angle of books. The other 3 lists indicated that these readers really are in their infancy in terms of capability and function.



Here's the deal. They're right. We haven't really scratched the surface of tablet style smart pads yet. Believe me, the market will be full of them over the next 5 years. Think iPhone, Droid function. At some point, I won't be surprised if Google gets involved. The iPad, which has an Amazon Kindle App, makes sense for lots of people.



But here's the other deal.... We are 10 years away from a competatively priced smart pad ($300 or less) that represents the vast improvement that will make "replacing" your Kindle or Sony worthwhile. iPads and their ilk have infinitely more options through Apps and "cloud computing" that your Kindle does not have. But this doesn't mean you need to replace the Kindle or that it is obsolete.



I cannot stress this point enough. Electronic readers are NOT for everyone. If you're a casual reader and don't buy many books, this is an overpriced gadget that will eventually just collect dust. But for avid readers who invest considerable time to page turning....and are prone to buying a great many books.....Kindles - and frankly any electronic book reader - is likely something you'll grow to love.



I also want to add this: The continued debate over the pricing of electronic books does not appear to yield warning signs that the electronic reading array is going to significantly decrease. I would think the opposite. There were be more and more titles. I ultimately believe that authors and publishing houses will begin to incorporate (they really already do) the electronic title price into the publishing contract. Think about it...what's the real overhead here? Instead of printing the books on paper and having to ship them all over kingdom come, there's no print - just electronic delivery. What we MAY see is the price of actual books go down.



I'll give you an example. If I want Journey's Greatest Hits, I can buy the entire album on iTunes for 9.99. Three years ago, that title was $13.99 - $15.99 at Best Buy. Today, it's $9.99, and it comes in a paper package - this is for the actual CD, mind you. So what to buy? Well, I have to tell you, in the case of the CD, I might PREFER to own the CD at the same exact price because I'm not restricted to iTunes and I can share the CD with my family if I prefer - in the same way that I can loan an actual book to someone else (instead of having to loan them my reader). But so long as the CD is priced at $15.99, I have to decide whether the extra $6 is worth it for the actual CD. In the case of book titles, why pay $25.99 for the newest book when I can pay $9.99 for the electronic version? And unless I'm willing to loan my reader to someone else, they'll have to buy the electronic version on their own for $9.99. Seems to me that there's room in the electronic market to be competative price-wise in the face of readability restriction. Electronic readers are here to stay. And my guess is the market will meet the demand, sooner than later. So, the point of all this in the review is that I like the Kindle, and for avid readers, you'll likely enjoy it too - and get great useage out of it.



BTW - COST OF BOOKS HAD I BOUGHT THEM IN THE STORE - including paperbacks - SINCE PURCHASING THE KINDLE - $527.98



COST OF THOSE BOOKS IN ELECTRONIC FORMAT (Many were free) - Approx. $140.



Almost $390 in "savings" in less than one year.


fat loss factor review