Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen

|

fat loss factor review


Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen Review. The color touch screen and sculpted buttons, organized into logical zones with backlighting, give you easy, one-touch access to your home entertainment – even in the dark. Just one press and you're watching a DVD or your favorite TV channel. The ergonomic design fits comfortably in your hand, and because it's rechargeable, you won't need to worry about buying new batteries. With support for more than 5,000 brands, you can control home entertainment devices that you own today or will buy tomorrow. Our online software guides you through setup, and our live customer support team is available if you need help....

 "Fantastic Remote: Simple to Program, Even Easier to Use!" 2008-02-04
By Jennifer Ray (Nashville, TN United States)

A year ago, I purchased the Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote Control and have liked it so much that I had determined to buy a second remote this year in order to have one upstairs and one downstairs. Although both the Harmony 880 and the new Harmony One each control many devices (I currently have 14 devices configured on each), it became tiresome to have to go to a different floor of the house to grab the remote for the other level. Then Amazon Vine received the Harmony One remote from Logitech for review, and I was thrilled to be able to review it.



The Harmony 880 and the Harmony One are very similar in functionality and programming. Both are programmed using a USB interface to your PC and the Logitech Harmony Remote Software. Both can handle multiple devices with considerable ease, allowing for most users to configure every remote-controlled device in their home. Both remotes can `learn' from the original remote if you are not able to configure a device using the model number. Both of these remotes enjoy a rechargeable dock.



Where the significant improvements are in the Harmony One over the Harmony 880 are the feel of the device in the hand, the improved backlit hard buttons that are easy to see in the dark, and a dock that cradles the remote much better (making it more difficult for your cat to knock the remote out of the dock! LOL). Also, with significant spaces between buttons on the Harmony One, it is easier to feel your way around the remote without looking.



If you are replacing an older Harmony remote, the Logitech Harmony software offers the opportunity to `replace' the currently configured device with the newer device, transferring your device setup for all the TVs, VCRs, DVRs, etc. to the new remote with little effort. As I did not want to replace, but add a new remote, I didn't use this function myself.



For those of us who are adding a new remote, I was a bit disappointed in the Harmony Remote software. You cannot have multiple remotes under one Logitech account. Instead, you must set up a separate ID for each remote. Many people use the same ID for most computer programs and online sites requiring one, and this requirement may cause some trouble for us in the future. I can easily imagine that the next time I need to program this remote I may have forgotten the ID I used to set it up with. While I keep pretty good track of my IDs and passwords, it will be hard to remember a year from now that I had to use a non-standard ID for this one. I would like to see the software revised to allow for multiple remotes in one account, and the ability to copy configurations from one to another.



On the bright side, the software really does make it easy to configure your televisions, Tivos, DVD players and more. If you have the model number of that device, this is the simplest method of configuring it, and with an extensive database of model numbers - including some very old tvs and the like (judging by my own setup), it is a pretty sure-fire way to set up your Harmony One Remote quickly and easily.



Of course, there are times when you simply cannot find the model number for a device. My bedroom television does not have a model number anywhere that I can find it. So, I used the `learn' function on the Harmony One Remote to teach the Logitech device the correct codes, using my original remote from the television. Even if you haven't the original remote, the remotes are still easy to configure using the brand name and the device type (i.e. Sharp TV) in the Harmony software.



Programming custom buttons for devices is very easy. I like to control the volume on my television while the remote is in Tivo mode, so I simply used the TV remote to program the volume buttons on the Harmony One Remote for the specific TV I will use. This procedure is as simple as lining up the two remotes and clicking the button you are configuring, then letting the Logitech software do its magic!



So far, I have configured a variety of devices with this remote easily: TVs, TiVos, DVD players, VCR, Cable Boxes, and an A/V receiver. None were problematic, and all work very well. I highly recommend the Harmony One Remote for anyone who wants to combine all their remotes to one and prefers ease of configuring. Oh, and it looks pretty sharp, too. Especially with my own photographs downloaded to run a pretty screensaver!

 "The couch potato's Excalibur" 2008-01-30
By Justin Gaines (Northern Virginia)

Using Logitech's Harmony One universal remote control, I can't help but hear Queen's "I'm In Love With My Car" playing in my head. That may be overstating the appeal of this device a bit, but not by much. I haven't been this impressed with a technological gadget since the Flip video camera. The concept of a universal remote control that replaces the various "factory" remotes that come with most home entertainment devices isn't new, but Logitech takes it to a whole new level with this device.



The Harmony One remote includes the remote control unit, a rechargeable battery, charging station with power adapter, USB cable, and a CD that is used to program the device. Setup is extremely user-friendly. Once you have the software installed, you're asked to provide the make and models of the devices you want to control, as well as a few questions on how those devices are used. The software then programs the remote accordingly. The total setup time is roughly 30 minutes, and doesn't require any significant computer skills.



In addition to providing basic operational control over a huge array of audio/video components released since roughly the dawn of time (the dawn of remotes at least), the setup process programs key actions that are real time savers. Instead of using my TV remote to switch the set to Video 3 and then turning on the DVD player to watch a DVD, I just touch the "Play a DVD" button and the remote makes it happen. How cool is that? Right now I have a TV, DVD player, stereo, and iPod home unit controlled by the remote, and as I add or upgrade components, I can use the software to update the remote accordingly.



The remote's design is a wonder all by itself. In addition to the usual array of buttons you expect to find on a universal remote, the Harmony One also boasts a touch screen that works well beyond expectations. The ergonomic design makes the device fit perfectly in your hand, with your thumb resting right near the most utilized buttons.



If you've gone out of your way to make sure you have the best possible home audio and video system, you really need to invest in this uber-cool remote control. It's the perfect accessory for the flat-screen/HD/Blu-Ray era.



UPDATE: I recently upgraded my TV and DVD player, and updating the remote software took less than 10 minutes, including a bit of very user-friendly troubleshooting when things didn't work perfectly the first time. That's one more great feature of this ultimate remote control.

 "Unbelievably easy and intuitive set-up, a nearly flawless remote" 2008-02-11
By W. C. Bryant (Columbus, OH USA)

I need to qualify my perspective by allowing that the last time I took a chance on a universal remote, it was the Phillips Pronto. A thick, wide, heavy brick of an object with a monochrome touch screen. The programming process was so drawn out, that I never got all of my devices into it, and subsequently, this expensive piece of electronics sat in that box full of cables and other bits that resides in everyone's closet. So I admit to being apprehensive a bit when the Harmony One Advanced arrived.



Immediately as I opened the box, I was delighted at the look and feel of the remote. It has some substance, but isn't too heavy. The weight is fairly balanced front to back even with the battery inserted. The front face is a high gloss black, with a touch of silver at the bottom, the back a comfortable matte black rubber-type feel. It is, for lack of a better word, a 'pretty' remote.



So I did what the instructions said; I gathered the make and model numbers of the nine (9) pieces of equipment I wanted to control. I set aside an hour to start the process, and figured I'd continue later as necessary. After installing the software on my laptop, I connected the remote to it, and started following the prompts. I entered all those make and model numbers -- and lo and behold, that was the whole of my set-up experience. I chose how the devices work together, what settings they each need in order to perform an 'Activity' (such as watching a DVD, or playing an Xbox 360), and that was it. After about 10-15 minutes, I was disconnected, and using my new remote without a single hitch. I love that you can hit different activities on the touch screen, and the remote will control multiple objects at the same time, or you can select devices and control each individually as if you had the original remote.



After nearly a month of use, I only have a few concerns. That high gloss black on the face shows fingerprints and grime very easily. I feel like we're constantly wiping it down with a cloth they provided with the package. This isn't a complaint so much as it is an observation. Furthermore, there are already some very fine scratches over the touch screen. I may have to blame one or more of my three dogs for this one though, and not Logitech's choice of materials.



All my old remotes now live in that box with the old pronto. I don't keep them around just in case, because no scenario (no matter how complicated) has required them in my use over the last month. I added a new device (an HD-DVD player) a week or two ago, and it took just a few minutes to have it working just as well as the rest in the Harmony One's interface. This is a brilliant remote, and I literally couldn't be much happier with it. The only feature I wish it had, was its own 'sleep' timer for all the devices. Not all of my electronics do that on their own, and it would have been a nice touch to have been granted that ability by way of the remote's function.



Outside of those with specific RF or Bluetooth needs, I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with this remote. A wonderful addition (subtraction, considering I went from 9 remotes to 1 in this room) to my entertainment experience. Thank you, Logitech!

 "A few minor negatives, like no RF support, but an outstanding remote!!" 2008-01-23
By T. Bux (Barnesville, PA United States)

This is one high end remote, and for as sophisticated as it is, it works wonderfully in a beautifully designed ergonomic frame that is easy to setup and use.



Presentation: Logitech presented the Harmony One in an elegant display box, showing the gleaming black case through clear plastic. The box graphics are nice and do a good job adding to the whole experience. No blister packs here, this feels like you are opening something important.



In the box you will have the following:



Universal Remote

Charging Station

USB Cable

AC Power Adapter

Lithium Ion Battery

CD-Rom with Logitech Software

Installation Guide



Setup: Setup is a cinch, though I must admit I did have some trouble connecting this unit to my Intel iMac. After installing the software the unit did not want to acknowledge my USB connection. There was a number to call. The call center help was very friendly and helpful. Above average tech support. The problem was resolved and we moved forward.



The software is easy to install, and once installed you hook up your remote to your computer through the supplied USB cable. The software then asks you for the items you want to control. (Note: It would be helpful in advance to have the makes and model numbers of everything you want to control.)



After you setup all the items you want to control, the software then asks you how you have your components set up to work. For example, if I want to watch TV, I need to turn on my Dish DVR and turn my TV on and to Video 1. These are called setting up activities, and I'll get to a little later.



After this is all setup to your liking, the software installs the information to your remote, reboots it and you are off to test it out.



I mentioned before the concept of "Activities". One of the major drawbacks of universal remotes in the past was having to control different components, and switch between them to do tasks. This remote does it for you. When you want to watch TV, you simply push the "Watch TV" icon on the color touch screen. The unit will then do all the tasks, turning on the DVR, TV, Sound system, etc, you had to do separately. It is really neat, and a nice time saver.



If you are having trouble, and the system is not working as desired, you can either hook the unit back up to the software or you can utilize the on remote help. The remote will guide you through some dialogue boxes on the color screen to help you resolve your problem.



Remote Operation: The remote works with easily with a surprisingly large number of units. I use a DVR and the buttons seemed laid out perfectly for DVR operation. It also worked my VCR and DVD recorder/player as if it was designed for it, unlike most universal remotes I've used.



It also worked a few things things I never thought of. It works my Sirius Starmate Replay, which I have in its boombox on the living room table. It also worked my relatively cheap Durabrand amplifier as if it was designed for it. For each of these speciality items, special control buttons appear on the touch screen for controls that are specific to that unit and that unit's remote.



Another nice feature is the motion activated backlight. The unit itself is a shiny jet black, and in a dark room you would never be able to find the buttons. But simply pick up the unit, and it lights up, buttons too, for you to easily control.



The only negative I've found is that it doesn't have RF support. I have a Dish Network DVR, and the second television needs to control the DVR through RF, which this unit cannot utilize. So be warned if you need RF, this unit will not do it.



Bottom Line: Few glitches aside, I was extremely impressed with this remote. It is smart, sexy, and works great. From those of you with just a few items to control, to those with dozens, this remote has more than what it takes to control all your audio, visual, and other household units.





 "A worthy replacement for any universal remote new or old!" 2008-01-30
By Lars Milano (Chicago, IL)

Just received this new gadget and although I have not had it for a long time, my initial impressions are overflowing with praise. Logitech upon acquiring Harmony has somehow found the list I made a few years ago about everything I thought was wrong and would do differently with the Harmony line of remotes and have found a solution to them all in this magnificent new version. At least that's what it seems like.



This remote will be replacing my trusty old Harmony 880, which will be relegated to the bedroom after I had inadvertently sat on and crushed the lcd screen on my relatively new Harmony 550 (may it rest in peace). Apparently, the Harmony 880 is a bit more durable than the slimmer 550 because I've been known to sit on that by accident on several occasions without inflicting any damage to the unit. I'm hoping this new beautifully designed Harmony One will be have also have durability to match its looks. Only time will tell, and I will update this review in the near future after I've spent some more quality time with the device.



The quick and dirty:



Form factor and Ergonomics: Brilliant! Fits nicely in my medium sized hand, comfortable to hold, and nicely weighted. Logitech has answered one of my few complaints about the 880 by having raised buttons on the new Harmony One to offer the user some tactile sense of which button to press without having to look down. Also, the rearrangement of buttons makes everything more accessible and the new touch screen looks sharp and works very well - the icing on the cake.



Ease of Use / Programmability: Harmony remotes have always excelled in this regard. The web-based software is intuitive and very easy to setup. It is always updated and has improved greatly over its many versions though the years. Works with both PC's and Macs with a USB port in terms of programming. The activity-based setup with the help functions makes this easy for anyone to use, including the most technology-phobic or electronically-challenged individuals, like my grandmother. My only wish is that perhaps a future software update will allow the user to further customize the icons and graphics on the touchscreen to suit personal tastes.



Functionality: It does everything you need a remote to do. It would've been nice if it had RF and bluetooth functionality (to control the PS3 and other specialized devices) but there are very viable workarounds to that (Nyko bluwave IR for the PS3) and in reality, I have no need for RF functionality. Harmony offers the 890 and Universal offers a few models that do RF but none of them can match the Harmony One's user-friendliness. Perhaps Logitech will release an RF version of this remote in the future, but there is likely a small market for it. Lastly, the charger base is a significant improvement over the 880. For you 880 owners out there, I'm sure you've found its charger base to be unreliable and often unwilling to actually charge your remote unless you position it just right. Logitech has fixed this on the Harmony One. Yet another problem solved. We'll how see it holds up over time but so far, this remote is approaching perfection.



Value: Is this remote worth $250? Depends who you are. Are you a techno-geek gadget-freak or a more practical and sensible person? A Harmony 550 can do just about everything the Harmony One can at a fraction of the cost but then it doesn't look, feel, and work as nice. The Harmony 550 is your Toyota corolla of remotes: dependable, practical, reliable, economical, until you bang it up by accident and it doesn't hold up very well (in my case, inadvertently sit on it). The Harmony One is your Lexus of remotes (or BMW or Mercedes, pick one). It does everything the toyota can but just better and more upscale, and it appears more durable and just feels much nicer... you know, in case you're wondering where the $250 went.



Conclusion: Highly recommended! If you don't have a decent universal-type remote yet, you can't go wrong with this one. It's the best out there but comes at a price. If you already have an 880 or 890, it's a tougher proposition unless you really have $250 burning a hole in your pocket. If you have a 550 or similar and wished it was nicer or just jealous of the Harmony One's fancy touch screen, perhaps you might accidently sit on it and justify an upgrade? It's ok, I won't tell.


fat loss factor review