Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac

|

fat loss factor review


Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac Review. Performance mouse MX wireless...

 "Reluctantly Switched From Bluetooth" 2009-08-30
By Cornwallis Alabaster Cuspidor, III (but you can call me Sprinkles) (Atlanta, GA)

I was very resistant to buy this mouse because I have only bought Bluetooth mice since 2002. But mouse manufacturers are clueless to our needs and so I was forced to switch.



And man am I glad I did.



This mouse is worth it to overlook the ultra-tiny receiver. It is oh so smooth and uncommonly comfortable. I bought the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 about three weeks ago and my forearm and hand have been aching ever since. It was the first non-ergonomic mouse, designed to be symmetrical for both right and left handed users, that I have used in many years and using it was downright painful. I also have the inappropriately named Apple Mighty Mouse which suffers from the same design flaw. The Performance MX, by comparison, puts very little strain on my hand and arm, and the groove where my thumb sits not only feels terrific, it also provides greater control. I will never buy a symmetrical mouse again.



The kit that comes with it is smart and useful. The recharging cable is Micro-USB so when the mouse battery dies, you just plug one end into your mouse and the other into your computer, and use it like a corded mouse while it charges. Also, it comes with a Wall-to-USB adapter so you can charge the mouse in the wall if you don't have an extra USB slot available. This means I can still use the mouse while it is charging from the computer or the wall. Very handy! My previous mice had charging stands and if the battery died, I couldn't use them again until they charged. Logitech also included a USB extension cable to help desktop users reposition the USB receiver and a handy little bag to hold the power plug and cords for us notebook users. All in all, a very thoughtful kit!



I am using this with a MacBook Pro and it had 3-button functionality right out of the gate without installing drivers. The USB receiver itself is very small. It's even smaller than the magsafe power adapter head. Time will tell if I can safely keep it in the notebook while I place the computer in and out of it's neoprene sleeve, but I don't anticipate this being a problem.



Do I wish this was a bluetooth mouse? Absolutely. But it is more comfortable than any Bluetooth mouse on the market, it moves the pointer with more fluidity, smoothness, and accuracy than any Bluetooth mouse on the market, and as much as I have enjoyed not dealing with receivers over the past 7 years... the total package provided by this mouse more than makes up for the fact that it isn't Bluetooth.



I highly recommend it.

 "This Mouse is a Delight" 2009-08-30
By Jack Puglis (Parsippany, NJ)

I'm used to being disappointed by products after reading the advertising hype. Not so with this mouse--I'm very happy that I spent the money that I did to buy it. I've used it every day for several hours for a week now and I like it better as time goes on.



Ergonomics: The mouse is very comfortable and well-designed. My previous mouse had forward & back buttons near the thumb area, but they were so close to where my thumb was positioned that I would often hit one when first grasping the mouse. The thumb-rest on this mouse is very well-designed; it's easier to hold & control the mouse because the grip is so much surer.



Zoom, Forward & Back Buttons: These three buttons are located a bit above the thumb rest and are very intuitive. The zoom button is just above your thumb, but far enough that I don't accidentally press it. When I do use it, the wheel increases or decreases the size of the image. Hit it again, and the zoom mode goes off, but nicely leaves the image at the size that you set it so you can continue working.



The Forward and Back buttons are above the zoom button and I found them comfortably placed to access when I wanted them but not get in the way when I didn't. They work well--it's usually easier to hit the back button than move the mouse to the left arrow in my browser.



Scroll Wheel: Here, the mouse pleasantly surprised me with its "hyper-scroll" feature. I expected a slightly enhanced scrolling capability--after all, when marketing people write "hyper," meaning super-duper and extreme to the max, they usually mean that this version works properly where their previous product was buggy. OK, I'm cynical. This feature is a true improvement. When you press a release button that is conveniently located slightly behind the scroll wheel, it frees the scroll wheel to spin, enabling you to scroll through pages very fast. When you touch the wheel to stop it from spinning, the scrolling stops instantaneously. You can simply push the release button again and you're back to "click" scrolling.



Slightly Strange Software: The software that comes in the package on a CD enables you to adjust certain mouse settings to suit your own preferences. However, you must go into the Control Panel / Mouse application to set things like the number of lines per wheel "click," the "double-click speed," and the pointer image (I like a large black arrow because of vision problems). I would have expected an integrated suite of software that handled all of these things, or at least advice from the manufacturer that informed me that certain mouse settings had to be made in the control panel.



Other Stuff: Simple things enhance this mouse, like very low-friction feet. All of my previous mice were harder to move on the desk or table surface and therefore harder to control. The only alternative that I could think of was to go into the control panel and set the "mouse speed" slower than it was when I was doing any kind of fine work. With this mouse, the low-friction feet make it much easier to make fine movements with the pointer, and in general make the mouse more pleasant to use.



Speaking of friction, the mouse has rubberized pads on the right and left sides, making for a non-slip grip, unlike my previous mouse, which was clearly molded from recycled potato peels or something. The serious point is that I haven't yet found my fingers slipping when accessing any button.



Overall Comfort: A harder-to-define characteristic is how the mouse feels overall. I find my hand and arm less tired, and the grip feels natural to me--it is shaped correctly to my hand. Previous mice, like the piece of... well, let's say "low-priced" mouse that Dell supplied with my computer, forced my hand to conform to the mouse. The result is a feeling of "rightness" when I first take hold of this device.



Battery Recharge: Logitec thought through this one very nicely. I've had the mouse for a week and charged when I first got it. It's been on all this time. BTW, the mouse actually has an "on-off" switch. After I pulled the mouse out of its box, I charged it while I was using it by simply connecting the mini-USB connector to the wall charger. It was then similar to using a wired mouse while it was charging. Logitec also supplies a USB cable so you can charge the mouse from any of your computer's USB ports. No putting the mouse into a cradle to recharge, which prevents you from using the computer.



Receiver Extender Cable (USB): None of Logitec's literature and no review that I've found properly states the simple reason for this cable: when you have problems with erratic pointer movements because of interference, too great a distance from the mouse to the receiver or obstructions between them, this cable enables you to move the receiver closer to the mouse. This gives you a so-called "inverse square-law" advantage in signal strength: for example, at half of the distance between the mouse and the receiver, the mouse's transmitted signal strength is four times higher at the receiver.



I paid $99 for this mouse at Best Buy in NJ. I think that this is a case where paying more gets you more. This mouse is a great product and I recommend it.



 "The Best Ergonomic Mouse with Sanyo eneloop Rechargeable Battery that works on any surfaces including Glass." 2009-12-12
By C. Law

I am a big fan of Logitech product. I would say the Logitech has the best for ergonomic designs for any mice. With the Darkfield technology, Logitech has implemented the microscope technology into a portable mouse that works on any surfaces. Yes! It does work on glass table, smooth reflective material, mirror, and magazine with plastic cover. None of the optical mice technology even Microsoft's Blu Track is as good as Darkfield.



I upgraded the mouse from Revolution MX to Performance MX. The differences are categorized below :



Ergonomics:

Performance MX has a thicker body and a narrower back compare to Revolution MX. This is suitable even medium and small palm size people. I think Performance MX wins!



Back and Forth buttons:

If you use a lot of back and forth button on your mouse, the traveling distance for the thumb on the Revolution MX is shorter than Performance MX. It doesn't really bother me much but I need some time to get use to. Revolution MX wins slightly.



Thumb Scroll is removed:

A lot of people have complained that the thumb scroll on the Revolution MX is useless, while I think it is quit useful when I set it to control the volume on my PC. The thumb scroll requires me to move my thumb to reach it but I find that compromise okay because I do not have a chance to accidentally press the thumb scroll when I move the mouse around. Logitech removes that thumb scroll on Performance MX. I miss that on the Performance MX. When Logitech removes the thumb wheel at least they should add 3 buttons somewhere on the Performance. Sorry, Revolution MX is slightly better on the number of buttons.



Missing Smart Hyper-scrolling from Revolution MX but added analog tilt:

Performance MX is lacking the electro-mechanical control to automatically switch the scroll between hyper-scroll and regular scroll. The Performance MX has a manual hyper-scroll switch in place of the Revolution MX search button. I feel disappointed about the Performance MX lacking a smart hyper-scroll wheel. To compensate that, Logitech introduces the analog tilt wheel where you can now tilt more to speed up the horizontal scroll speed when working on Excel Spreadsheets. Since vertical scroll is needed more often than horizontal scroll, Revolution MX wins definitely.



Rechargeable using micro USB:

Performance MX does not need an AC charging cradle. It can be charged using micro USB so you can use it while charging at the same time! It also comes with a AC to USB wall charger to charge the mouse. I think Performance MX is definitely the most comfortable mouse to travel without worrying about the battery! Performance MX Wins all the way! This is one of the most important feature to me for travelling. There is a catch though. The USB cable does not do data transfer for the mouse, so you still need the Unify transceiver to use the mouse. That means you need to occupy two USB ports for charging and using.



Included the best removable Sanyo eneloop 2000 mAh Ni-MH Rechargeable AA Battery:

Most people complain about a non-removable rechargeable battery in Revolution MX. Performance MX comes with the best Ni-MH battery. A lot of reviewers forgot or didn't even know Sanyo's eneloop Ni-MH battery self discharges at a very slow rate. A fully charged eneloop battery can maintain 90% of the charge even after 12 months! While other brands of Ni-MH batteries self discharges to 50% after 4 months in room temperature. The storage time for eneloop therefore is the longest in the Market of Ni-MH. eneloop also supports more than 1000 charge cycles. A 2000 mAh Ni-MH battery by Sanyo in Performance MX can last around a week on average depending on the daily usage.

I have to give kudos to Logitech to decide to go for Sanyo's eneloop battery. Because Ni-MH rechargeable batteries can be purchased everywhere. They are also economical. Moreover, any types of AA alkaline battery also work perfectly on Performance MX but make sure you don't charge the non rechargeable alkaline batteries, otherwise it might explode and damage the Performance MX!!! The removable rechargeable AA battery and USB charging feature have topped any Logitech wireless products I've ever used. PERFORMANCE MX wins!!



Logitech Unifying Technology:

Logitech does not want to pay for Bluetooth licensing fee, so they have developed their own Bluetooth-like technology that works for all future Logitech products that support Unifying wireless transmission. I personally think that Unifying technology is easier to use and has really quick response compare to Bluetooth devices. With only a size of a penny, the Unifying USB transceiver is able to connect several mice and keyboards at a time after paring using the Unifying software in Windows or Mac. Once you have paired the Keyboard and Mouse to the USB transceiver, you can immediately use it on any operating system. It worked on my Linux, mac and windows 7 without installing any drivers. It also works on my BIOS of my motherboard. However, if you want to use all the features and re-map the buttons, you have to install the Logitech Setpoint software.

Please note that any Logitech products that do not have Unifying technology are not compatible with the new transceiver, so don't complain that you can't use your old Revolution MX with the new Unifying USB transceiver. Performance MX is the way to go. I would love to marry Logitech products using Unifying!



Inside the traveling bag there are:

- AC to USB wall charger 110 - 220V

- Micro USB cable

- Extension Cable





Conclusion:

If you have never owned a Revolution MX and would like the most comfortable mouse on the market that works on any surfaces including glass table, want to combine with any type of Logitech keyboard or mouse using a unifying transceiver, able to charge the mouse with USB while using it, like excellent battery life with Sanyo eneloop, enjoy replaceable Ni-MH or non-rechargeable AA battery, then get Performance MX.

If you don't really care and can tolerate a limited size mouse pad, non-universal larger USB dongle, non removable rechargeable battery, no USB charging, get revolution MX while you can ONLY at clearance price.

 "Corrects the MX Revolution's deficiencies (and then some)." 2009-09-13
By Premiata Forneria Marconi (Columbus, OH)

I've owned a number of Logitech mice -- among others, I've owned the G5, the G9, the VX Nano, the MX1000, the MX Revolution, and now, the Performance Mouse MX. I believe I'm qualified to pass judgment on Logitech's newest pointing device, the Performance Mouse MX.



For starters, the Performance Mouse MX ("PMMX") improves upon the MX Revolution's ("MXR") somewhat kludgy mechanism for switching the scrollwheel from a freewheeling mode to a clicky "detent" mode. Where the MXR required the user to firmly press on the scrollwheel to change modes (often resulting in the mouse generating a scrollwheel button-press event rather than changing the scrollwheel mode), the PMMX uses a button just behind the scrollwheel to switch between those two modes. This is a far less frustrating method, and is also better implemented than the G9 mouse's bottom-mounted mode change button which required that the mouse be turned over to switch modes.



The PMMX also improves upon the MXR's charging design considerably. While the MXR required you to put the mouse in the charging cradle to recharge its battery -- thus rendering the mouse unusable for the duration of the recharge cycle -- the PMMX can be recharged on the fly while the mouse is in use by attaching a micro-USB cable to the front of the mouse and plugging that cable either into a powered USB port or into the back of an included AC-to-5V USB adapter. While Logitech's charging solution isn't nearly as elegant as Microsoft's implementation on their Sidewinder X8 (which uses a thin wire with a magnetized "charging paddle" which grips the front end of the mouse fairly tightly), it is equally as functional and is a quantum leap over the MXR's charging cradle.



Additionally, I could detect no discernable "wireless lag" between the mouse and the PC. The MX1000 had considerable lag as well as occasional glitches in how it interacted with the OS (sometimes resulting in the mouse tracking over only part of the desktop); the MXR still had some lag, enough to make it difficult to play certain "twitch" games (first-person shooters, for the most part), but no show-stopping tracking issues. Also, the PMMX seems to track more smoothly across all the surfaces I've tested it on (wood, cloth, mousepad, glass tabletop, glass patio door) than the MXR ever did; the MXR won't track reliably across glass on its best day, while the PMMX seems to be surface-agnostic, as it tracks equally reliably across every surface I've tested.



All in all, the Performance Mouse MX is a worthy successor to the MX Revolution, and would also serve well as a wireless gaming mouse. Its few flaws are outweighed by its improvements on its predecessor. I heartily recommend it.

 "The best mouse I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot!" 2009-09-11
By J. Huff (USA)

MY FAVORITE FEATURES:



-Comfortable for LONG periods even though I am much more sensitive to repetitive stress from mice. I have never felt any discomfort with this mouse!



-Rechargeable and replaceable battery



-Superb tracking and features



-The added treat that it seems to have its own mouse acceleration algorithm in OS X, replacing, at least for itself, the (in my opinion) horrible, mud-like, mouse cursor acceleration that is unchangeable in the Mac OS X operating system. (I love everything about my mac but that horrible mouse acceleration!)



Other thoughts:



There is not a single negative thing I could say about this mouse. The only nitpick I can bring up is that I have to use a receiver, which means it takes up one of the only two USB ports on my macbook when I use it. Small price to pay! And if you have three or more USB ports on your laptop, or are using it exclusively on a desktop, this is a non-issue. Of course, giving me a receiver means that I can switch it between computers that don't have bluetooth easily, which is wonderful.



I'm one of those gadget nuts that just owns too many of nearly any computer peripheral. I have had three different tablets, and bought a large variety of mice and game controllers, and I can say with no hesitation that this is the best mouse I have ever owned. I bought the mouse after thinking about how cool the Darkfield technology was, and wanting to try the scrolling thing in the real world. I expected it to perform very well for games, but to give my wrists a hard time just like every other mouse I have owned, (vertical, slanted or horizontal). I have issues with repetitive stress, and basically every mouse I have used has caused me discomfort of one kind or another while using it. This has always been my gripe with performance mice: they look great, and track great, but they ultimately are poorly designed as far as ergonomics go. NOT so with this mouse! It is ergonomic AND has superior performance. It even increased my score and accuracy in UT3 and Quake 3!



I have used this mouse at work, and in games, and in not ideal computer use conditions, and my wrist has not acted up at all, despite long gaming sessions. I am surprised and tickled. I am sure I am going to buy another of these mice so that I can keep one at home and not have to keep moving this one around. I take it with me everywhere now.



If you can afford it, buy it! You won't regret it!


fat loss factor review